https://matrixfaprd.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/matrix-logo.png 0 0 Adam https://matrixfaprd.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/matrix-logo.png Adam2013-05-02 12:00:222013-05-02 16:36:54Pre-Interview Prep – Avoid Common Mistakes
While you should avoid “over-preparing” for an interview, careful preparation can help avoid serious mistakes and give you an advantage over the competition.
- Take a map, the company phone number and the name of the person you are interviewing with. Plan to arrive 20 minutes earlier than the scheduled interview time.
- Know the company’s facts and figures, products, markets, competitors and recent news. Know the position you are applying for. One of the most common questions candidates fail to answer appropriately is “What do you know about us?”
- Ask your recruiter for inside information such as the hot buttons associated with this position, the background of the people you will meet, the key needs of the company, the reason the position is open, and the style of the interview.
- Know your own company’s facts and figures, products, markets, competitors and recent news. You may unexpectedly be asked to provide information about them.
- Rehearse answers for common interview questions asked by employers.
- Always prepare questions to ask. Having no questions prepared sends the message that you have no independent thought process. (refer to Questions page).
- Bring the job description if available and a copy of your resume. Focus the conversation on areas in your career which match the job requirements.
- Bring a professional pad of paper and a pen.
- Turn your cell phone off 5 minutes before the interview.